Saturday, March 29, 2014

Such a wonderful life!

My mom and I at the top of the Castle in Alicante
          It has been a while since I posted, but the good thing about that is that I have a lot to talk about! School has been going the same. I have started to feel a little bit behind because I have been slacking a little bit. It is really easy to fall behind because like I have mentioned before, we really don´t have homework here. We just have the final papers and exams at the end of the semester, so I should really get started on the reading and assignments!

          I had my first experience with a house in Spain a couple of weeks ago, and it was really nice! I made friends with a girl named Mireia and she invited me over to hang out and have lunch one day, so I went to her house. It was really nice, and the interior reminded me of the houses we have more up north. She had a really nice pool in the front yard which is different, and also a sweet garden with a bunch of different fruit trees! There were oranges, lemons, pomegranates and a bunch of other types of fruit trees!

View of the city of Toledo from the outside!
          I took another weekend trip with Ali to Toledo Spain as well. Toledo is a beautiful city close to Madrid, and it used to be Spain´s capital. The city was somewhat smaller than some of the other ones that I have been to, but there was a LOT to see and do there. The main attraction in Toledo is the Alcazar. We spent a couple of hours inside and outside taking pictures of the beautiful scenery. The nice thing about the museums in Spain is that a good number of them are free on Sundays! We managed to get everything done in two days, and we bought a bunch of souvenirs there as well. Toledo is also known for their marzipan, so we were sure to buy some of that while we were there! Also in Toledo we had our first experience with sharing a hostel room with strangers! I think we got pretty lucky for our first stranger experience. We were in a room with 2 other girls, one from Boston and one from Egypt! They were both really nice, so everything worked out well.

          Wednesday (March 19) I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity for my parents to come visit me! I picked them up from the airport in Alicante on Wednesday morning, and we started our weeklong journey in Spain together! I mentioned before that the people here all live in “pisos” which are basically apartments, and my parents rented one of those to stay in for the week so we wouldn´t all be stuffed into a tiny hotel room together. It was really nice and had a beautiful view of the sea and a nice kitchen, so I definitely lucked out being able to stay there for a week!

           Their stay in Alicante was amazing, and I didn´t want it to end. We travelled to Benidorm and Elche, walked around the city a ton, climbed to the top of the castle, spent endless hours at the beach and ate delicious food and gelato! My favorite part of their trip was when my parents and I got invited to have lunch with my host family. It was such an awesome day for all of us! My host mom prepared a GIANT pan of paella for everyone, and her nieces came over for a couple of hours as well. The thing was, my parents don´t speak a word of Spanish, and my host parents don´t speak a word of English!

My host parents (left) and my real parents (right) having a
typical Spanish meal together!
            For those of you who don´t know, my goal in life is to become a translator and work my way up to an interpreter. So, as you can imagine, I had an awesome time interpreting between everyone for a few hours. I got to know my host parents a lot better as well, because my parents were asking some good questions! It was definitely one of the best day´s I have had here. Tuesday morning my parents left to head back to the United States, and I was really sad to see them go. I am so lucky that I had the opportunity to spend a week with them in Spain!

           
           This week has been pretty uneventful; however I am getting a pretty bad cold! Next weekend Ali and I are going to Barcelona, and I can´t wait!!! J