Sunday, February 2, 2014

Another awesome weekend!

This weekend was great :) Friday I met with my adviser on campus to talk with her to make sure that I am happy with my host family, and to talk about how the payment and everything here is going to work. 
20140130_181226 (1)
After that, I went home for lunch and then went to the beach to read for a little while before meeting Ali and Amanda. Once they arrived, we decided to walk around and explore the city some more. We went to the grocery store and I bought some oreos and a couple snacks. I know what you’re thinking; oreos? But here dessert after meals is fruit. And that is just something I cannot adapt to ;)
DSCN2036
We wandered around a little bit and then walked down some random road that ended up being totally awesome. There was a huge staircase and we took tons of pictures.
Saturday I went to Leo’s soccer game again. From there, Adelina and I went to a couple of stores, and one of them was this giant market that was somewhat overwhelming. And here, I experienced my first problem with the language barrier.
DSCN2052
I am going to start this story by telling you all that I hate oranges. I hate the skin on them, it totally grosses me out and I can’t eat them because of that reason.  Well, a giant section of the store was a fruit market where my host mom visits often to buy fresh fruit. Well, the guy at the counter started talking to me and I couldn’t hear or understand him so I just smiled and said “si.” Well, 2 minutes later he hands me a freshly peeled gigantic orange. I looked at my host mom, who started laughing at me, and I smiled and said “gracias.” I ate the entire orange, and I was so embarrassed and angry at myself. But now I think it might be the funniest thing that has happened to me here.
DSCN2057
After lunch, I met Amanda on the beach where we read for a while. While we were reading, a group of men came and set up their fishing poles near us, and one of them walked by me and told me that I have the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen. I smiled and said gracias, but that wasn’t the end of him. He continued to walk by, making kissy noises telling me how beautiful I am, and then he proceeded to tell his friends that I am the most beautiful “inglesa” that he has ever seen….I was flattered and a little bit embarrassed haha.
Ali, Amanda and I went to the mall that night and we all bought straighteners for 10 euro…well they were definitely 10 euro worth. The stupid thing doesn’t even get hot enough to straighten my hair lol.
After dinner on Saturday I was sitting in my room when I heard giant booms coming from literally right outside my window. Apparently the restaurant next to where we live does fireworks every time there is a wedding. So that was exciting and pretty to watch! Shortly after, my madre and brother and I watched “Enchanted” in Spanish, and then went to sleep.
DSCN2060
Today, Sunday, was excellent. I woke up early, straightened my hair (or attempted to), and then went to church with Adelina. After church, we went for a short walk and ended up stopping by at the hotel that her older niece works at. We met with the younger niece and the older niece’s boyfriend, and we had coffee together. Then we all went to this place with the most beautiful view of the city. We took a bunch of pictures, then Adelina left to make dinner, and I spent some time with her nieces. 
DSCN2065
Later on we all went to Adelina’s house (where I am living) and she prepared a giant dish of paella for all of us. It was so much fun, and I got to practice my Spanish a bunch today. I am not looking forward to another week of classes, but hopefully they go a lot smoother this week.20140202_155249