Monday, February 24, 2014

Time is flying

         
Zach, Ali, Amanda and I with our palm tree creations!
         Another week came and went faster than ever. Time is starting to fly by and I really wish it would slow down!

         
         Tuesday was pretty sucky. I went to class 10-12, and then went to get coffee with Amanda and that part was good. I love the coffee here; it’s very different but delicious. From there we had class 1-3, and I’m starting to catch on a lot more to my professors.
             
          During lab on Tuesday we had to focus on these old English phrases that were super challenging to translate. However, one of them I totally rocked and he voted mine the best in the class. I was pretty pleased with myself that I beat out even the Spanish students for the best sentence


            Wednesday I woke up early and went to the bank with my host mom. We set up an account for me at bankinter, and it was pretty easy.  I went to class at 1, and then Amanda and I had to pick up some things that were for our translation class. We had to go to the copisteria and tell them that we needed the stuff for the class, and they make the copies there and you pay for the printouts. It kind of sucks that you have to pay, but whatever.

           Thursday I woke up at 10:30 and then got ready for a run. It was on the forecast to be a beautiful day, so I was really excited to get to the beach. I ran to the beach and then lay on the sand for almost an hour. It was 75 degrees and it was the greatest hour ever. There were people everywhere on the sand and in the water and wow, it was just beautiful and perfect.

          I got to campus and met with my advisor Ramon because he wanted to talk to us about going to Elche Friday, which is where he is from. We had to be at the train station at 8:40 in the morning to arrive at 9:30.

          After class, I went to the beach to meet up with Ali and 6 other people I didn’t know but it was pretty cool meeting new people. We sat there for a while, and then I walked home around 7.


            Friday was an amazing day. I took the tram at 8:00 to Luceros, and I met Amanda there and we walked to the train station. We met up with everybody and went into the station and bought our train tickets for Elche. Ramon paid for all of our tickets which was really nice of him, and then we took the train.

            When we arrived in Elche, we walked around a lot, and walked through these awesome parks with birds and millions of palm trees. I learned a ton about palm trees today, so that was pretty interesting. One of Ramon’s students came along, and he is a photographer so he was taking hundreds of pictures throughout the day. I’m excited to see how they all turned out!


            We walked through these parks, and there were all sorts of different fruit trees. Lemon trees, banana trees, orange trees, almond trees, date palm trees, kumquats, Japanese fruits, just a ton of different types of trees. It would have been pretty cool if they were all in season so we could try some of the fruit.


            We stopped at the local market and Ramon bought a whole bunch of churros. Then we went to a café and got hot chocolate, which was really different from hot chocolate in the states. It was almost like drinking hot syrup but not quite as thick. Anyway, it was delicious and we got to dip the churros in it. Yeah I know, amazing.


            In one of the parks there was this little building and we got to go inside and see the ladies making these amazing things out of the leaves from the palm trees. They were making them for la semana santa, which isn’t until April. I can’t even imagine how much work goes into making those. They explained that they use the palms that haven’t gone through photosynthesis yet because they are white from the lack of chlorophyll and they are a lot softer. The lady made a few example little things like a camel, fish, rose and snail. I got to keep the camel so it is a pretty sweet souvenir!


            From there we met up with Ramon’s other friend who is like a professional palm tree climber. Yeah I know, pretty cool. He showed us his 2 methods of climbing up, and we could try if we wanted. A few of us tried, but we ran out of time before I got a chance so I was pretty bummed.


            After that, we went to a restaurant for lunch. I ate squid! Well Ali ordered the squid, but I tasted it. It wasn’t too bad but it was a little bit chewy. I got this plate with a few types of meats on it, the second plate was a paella type thing which I didn’t really like, and then we got dessert. I got flan and I didn’t like it at all. THEN we got coffee. All of this was only 1o euro, and it was a pretty sweet deal.

            After lunch we walked back to the train station and headed back to Alicante. Amanda and I decided to go see a movie and I am really glad we did! We saw this movie called 3 bodas de más, and it was really funny. I was happy with how much of it I actually understood.
           
            My madre didn’t get home until like 10:00, and she came home with her niece Carmen. We all had dinner and watched TV together, and laughed a lot. I really like Carmen, she is super nice!

            Saturday was another pretty good day. I woke up around 10, and my host family had breakfast together. We usually don’t have breakfast together, so that was nice. Then I got dressed and ready for the castle.

            I met Zach, Amanda and Ali and we went to the castle. It was a pain to climb all the way up, but it was kind of fun and exciting at the same time. The castle had a lot of really pretty views, and it was really cool to finally see.

            I ended up falling asleep on the beach for a while on Saturday. Then Amanda and I found this shell, which ended up being a hermit crab, and we were really excited about it haha. Then we went and got ice cream from that place that’s like yogurt yeti. It’s really good but really expensive.