Monday, February 10, 2014

It has been about a week since I have posted, but I really didn’t do anything exciting during the week so I figured I would wait until I had a couple of interesting stories to tell.
This week at school went smoother than last week, but still not that great overall. Monday was okay, I had my first day of sociology of the arts class, and I really liked the class. I don’t think it will be too difficult, so I won’t have to be in a constant panic over that one. My next class wasn’t until 5, so I went home between and took a nice beautiful run on the beach.
My second class of the day got turned into this conference  we had to attend, and I didn’t know what was going on at all. I already don’t know anything about history, so I wasn’t following much.

20140203_215621
That night during dinner, Leo and I made a candle out of an orange. We spent so long trying to get it to light, and by the time it finally did, we had gone through more than 50 matches!
Tuesday marked 2 weeks in this beautiful city. I am becoming lazier in the morning, and I have to run practically every day to get to the tram on time. I don’t know what my problem is, but apparently I like to make myself late.
Tuesdays are the longest days ever for me. I have class 10-12, 1-3, 6-7, and 8-9. So I am on campus for about 11 hours. Classes were good that day, and Ali, Amanda, David and I booked our first weekend trip for Granada! We leave on Friday (Valentine’s Day) and come back Sunday night. We bought our tickets for the Alhambra, which is one of the most visited places in all of Europe.
Wednesday I slept in for the first time in a long time, and it was beautiful. In my first class, we had to break into small groups and make timelines for certain countries. The professor asked the Spanish students to choose us 5 American students to work with them so they could help us.
20140207_121936
Thursday started off bad, but got better as the day went on. My laziness finally caught up to me and I missed the tram. I was supposed to meet my adviser at 12 and I got there like 15 minutes late. Oops. He took us all to the library to show us how to look for books and check them out. They don’t require you to purchase textbooks here, which is nice but at the same time annoying.
Something totally random and kind of sad here is that there are cats on campus EVERYWHERE. Just stray cats. They are like Central’s version of squirrels. I pet one during lunch…but luckily Zach brought hand sanitizer because I instantly regretted it lol.
20140206_184453
To celebrate another week of classes ending, Ali, Amanda and I met at that ice cream place we always go to. Then we toured some more of the city, but it was pretty foggy and we couldn’t see much of the pretty views.
Friday I met Ali at the mall and we did some shopping. I bought a cute jacket for only 10 euro! Then I did some shopping with my host mom later on that I wish I did not do.
We went to the market and she bought a skinned rabbit…with its head….and eyeballs. I am scared for when that thing is going to make its appearance on the kitchen table. 

20140208_001929After dinner I got ready to experience the night life for the first time! I left my apartment at 10:15 and met Ali, Amanda and David in Luceros. From there we walked to the barrio, which is basically this area with a million bars, discotecas and restaurants. I promise you, every person in Alicante must have been there. It was something I have never seen before, and it was pretty awesome.

After that, we decided to walk towards the crowds of people, and there were like 15 discotecas in a row on every street. We ventured into a lot of them, but they were all super packed. We stayed in a few longer than others, danced a little, and figured everything out.
Around 2:30 we decided to call it quits because we were all just done for the night. I think next time we go out we will have a better sense of where to go and what to do, and hopefully we will have made some more Spanish friends by then so they can take us out too and show us their favorite places.